Edward & Mary
Jagera / Turrbal
This city tower preserves and integrates a significant heritage building, opening it up for public uses.
The scheme is located on a key pedestrian axis connecting the Queen’s Wharf precinct on the CBD’s Western riverbank to the Eastern river-front. It was important to our client that the site’s existing heritage building, built in 1909 to house the Coal Board, be preserved and meaningfully integrated into the scheme. The heritage building, which is currently an office, is adaptively re-occupied by public functions, including retail, hospitality, and a roof-top terrace, allowing a wider public to visit and enjoy this heritage structure. The footprint of the new tower wraps around the heritage building, linking into the existing floors. Above this, the tower cantilevers out over the existing building with a gradual taper from level 8 upwards. Containing a mixture of commercial, hotel and residential uses, the slender tower is highly sculpted, and punctuated by external community spaces at various levels. Maximising height within the CBD framework, the tower offers uninterrupted views over the Botanic Gardens to the south-east and impressive views to the north and east between nearby high-rise buildings. At ground floor, a Porte Cochere connects Edward Street through to a rear lane. A pedestrian arcade is created at the northern edge of the site, also connecting into the rear laneway, with landscaped terraces above at varying levels. An innovative, automated system provides a limited number of basement carparking spaces to serve the scheme. This scheme will be an exciting new addition to Brisbane’s city skyline and urban fabric.